Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Happenings

Boy, these weeks sure do fly by!  Chad said yesterday that Meredith seems to learn something new everyday and I believe it.

  • She is now becoming quite the walker.  It's very weird to see her toddle around, when it seems she learned to crawl just yesterday.  Over the past few days, she has really begun to advance in her walking abilities.  She can now squat down to pick up objects and get back up unassisted (e.g., without falling back down and crawling).  She also seems to enjoy walking more now, so we imagine she will be walking fairly well by her first birthday. 
  • She can also now kind-of-sort-of wave!  It's quite funny - when we wave to her, she raises one or both hands straight up over her head.  It sometimes comes with a squeezing of her hand, but it's most funny when her arm just shoots straight up :)
  • Okay, this isn't exactly a milestone, but I think it's funny and proves her awareness of surroundings.  I was at Fazoli's this week with a friend and as I was preparing to order, I noticed that she kept looking past me and opening her mouth really wide.  She then would close her mouth, look at me, and look past me and do it again.  I finally looked over my shoulder and could see why she was doing this....there was a picture of a girl eating spaghetti and she had her mouth wide open!  Ha!  Meredith was just trying to copy what she looked like.  I got a good laugh out of that.  This is a reenactment she did later of that face:

  • Finally, this wasn't exactly the milestone I wanted, but we have moved her to the kitchen sink for bath time.  She seems quite content here and though it is weird to think I wash her body in the same area I wash her dishes, it works and is much better than our bathtub disaster (see previous Blog post, Milestones)!  I'm sure this solution won't work for long, though, since she will be too big soon.

For Easter, we invited both of our sets of parents over to help us celebrate.  Also, this year Easter fell right in the middle of Chad and my birthdays, so that was another reason to celebrate.  I was kind of excited to be able to cook a nice meal for everyone, since my cooking skills have increased substantially since my single-hood days.  Plus, I LOVE crockpot meals.  I made pot roast in the crockpot (my Mom provided the recipe - the BEST I have ever had, and no I'm not just saying that because I made it), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes/gravy, and rolls.  Yummy!

We realized that this was the first time Meredith's grandparents have all been together since the day she was born.  Here is a picture:




Chad and I decided not to do an "Easter Basket" for Meredith.  I guess we just feel that she won't remember it now anyways, plus I think it kind of takes away from the true meaning for the Holiday.  We were talking about how we can kind of understand Santa and his purpose (gives out presents to children that are good), but what is the purpose of the Easter Bunny?  I mean, they don't even lay eggs that the kids hunt for.  We think most of the Easter Bunny's in kids pictures are a little freaky looking.  Not to mention it's around $20 for the cheap picture package at our local Mall.  What a rip off.  So, we instead let our parents get her gifts - she got a few books about Easter, an Easter dress, and a stuffed Easter bunny.

Fun New Toys!

Miss Meredith in her Easter dress