Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Zoo

As a continuation of my last post ("First Family Vacation"), since we still had one day remaining in our week of vacation, we decided to have a picnic and visit our local zoo.  It's amazing to think that Miller Park Zoo is only about 10 minutes from our house and has all kinds of animals, including bears, kangaroos, monkeys, and even an armadillo.  I just reminded myself of the Wizard of Oz line, "Lions, tigers, and bears...oh my!"...that is, minus the lion at this particular zoo.  We had a fabulous time and Meredith really enjoyed being pushed around in the stroller and looking at the animals!

This is a picture of our picnic lunch.  Very tasty, if I do say so myself!:



The Zoo....

Such a nice little zoo!

Having a GREAT time!  This is the life...being pushed around in a stroller.

This was a bit scary.  You open the first gate and there is a kangaroo, right there to my left.  I'm surprised it wasn't in more of a secured area.

Meredith and the llama after we watched it get a hair cut :)

My two favorite people!  (She needed to stretch her legs; Stroller rides are so tiring!)

If it wasn't for the bad paint job on this tiger, I think it looks quite real.

Such an intense look!

She had just learned to point the week prior and is demonstrating it here!

Hello monkey!

They had a petting/feeding area for the goats, but we didn't get too close!

One of my favorite animals of the day.  The bald eagle - such a gorgeous creature.

Kind of a neat exercise (it says, "What's Your Wingspan?").  It would have taken both of us to hold Meredith's arms out for the camera, and no one left to take a picture, so Chad is trying it out instead.

Getting a little tired, are we?

She got over the tired part once we hit the gift shop!  Chad pointed out that in this picture, you can see all the way down her throat (to what I call her chandelier - you know, that hanging thing in the back of your mouth).

So, we had an awesome family outing right here in town.  Chad and I were reminded that there are so many things we can do around town with her, that we had never really been exposed to before we had a child.  It brought me back to when we went to Europe for our honeymoon and once home, we made a commitment to see as much of the US as possible before we ever considered going back.  We need to do this more often!