Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Big ONE!


The day is finally here.....oh, I'm so excited!  (Even more excited than my own recent birthday, but that goes without saying that birthdays are not as fun once you reach a certain age.)

My little Meredith (also known as "Mer", "Mer-Bear", "baby girl", "girlfriend", "Pebbles" and the list goes on) has been with us for ONE YEAR!  That just doesn't even seem possible.  My life changed for the better at 5:08 p.m. on May 3, 2011.

My hope is that one day Meredith will look back on my blog and gain a small glimpse into our lives at this very moment.  So, here is a year in review of what was going on with our little blessing from her perspective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1
Wow, that sure was a trip!  What's going on?  Where am I?  And...who are all of these people that keep looking at me and holding me?  Why do they keep wrapping me up really tight in blankets?  And what's the deal with the bright lights I keep being put under...I think someone said it's because I have jaundice!  I just want to sleep....

Month 1

OK, so I think I'm starting to understand - this is mommy and daddy that are around me all the time.  But, why do they keep taking so many pictures of me?  Don't they realize that the flash hurts my eyes?  Oh well, they must think I'm cute or something.

Month 2
I really like to smile now.  I usually do it when Mommy is singing to me or sometimes if Daddy makes funny faces.  I also heard someone say that I have dimples - not sure what those are, but I think that's a good thing.  

Month 3
Can you tell that I am now beginning to hold my head up really well?  Mommy says I'm very strong.  I also just learned how to roll over.  My favorite toy is the exersaucer - it's really fun.  I can touch a lot of toys that are within my reach and chew on anything in site.  Oh, one other thing...Mommy ended up quitting her job to stay home with me full-time - I must be pretty special!

Month 4
So, I think this is becoming a regular thing.  That is, they keep putting me on the couch every month and taking my picture.  Daddy makes funny faces so I will smile, while Mommy is holding the camera.  I guess I can get used to this.

Month 5
I think I have found something that Mommy and Daddy don't agree on - baseball teams!  Daddy is really excited because the St. Louis Cardinals just won the World Series and it happened the year I was born; But, Mommy didn't care too much about it, because she likes the Chicago Cubs.  Mommy still gave in, though, and dressed me in a few Cardinals outfits for the playoff games.

Month 6
Mommy and Daddy let me open an early Christmas present, after they got it at Black Friday sales.  It's a jumperoo!  I really like it, but I'm not sure why they laugh so much when I jump up and down.  Isn't that what I'm supposed to do?

Month 7
This was a fun month for me.  I got to see both of my grandparents and some extended family for Christmas.  I received many gifts, but was still not fully able to open the gifts on my own.  I also got to sit on Santa's lap and tell him my wish list.

Month 8
What's the deal with these white sharp things in my mouth?  It hurts really bad.  Isn't there an easier way to give me teeth?  I began going to "Baby Rock" at the library this month.  It is so fun.  I get to be around other kids my age, dance to music, listen to a story, and the best part of all...BUBBLES!  I love to yell as the bubbles come falling down.

Month 9
Mommy and Daddy keep saying I'm growing up so much.  I can now take a few steps on my own.  I still prefer to crawl everywhere, since it's much quicker!

Month 10
My walking has improved a lot since last month!  I can now walk much longer distances, even once being able to walk the entire length of the living room floor.  Mommy also likes to take me to the park now on nice days - I love the swing!  My hair has also gotten really long and some days, a little crazy looking.  I sometimes will let her put my hair in pigtails, but I usually can't sit still long enough.
 

Month 11
Don't I look so much like a little girl in this picture?  Well, Mommy thinks so too.  So much so, that she stopped giving me the pacifier.  Not that I really used it too much anyway.  Now, I just suck on one of my fingers if I need to calm down.  Also, I can now walk almost anywhere and only occasionally fall. 

Month 12 (One Year!)
  
Mommy says I'm really smart, because when Daddy leaves for work, I walk over to the window to look out.  I'm still working on how to wave, but I like to watch his car drive off.  Also, I love to talk and do it all the time.  I don't think anyone knows what I'm saying, though, because they just repeat nonsense (goo-goo, dada, mama) words back to me, but I know what I mean.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, what a great year we have had with Meredith.  Happy birthday, Mer!  We love you so much!  I'll leave you with an excerpt from Mommy and Daddy's letters to you, found in your baby book:

"Two of the greatest moments in my life were when I found out I was pregnant with you and the day you were born.  It was a surreal experience when I first held you in my arms.  I am so glad that God blessed me to be your Mommy; You are truly a miracle from God."
- Mommy

"I love the way your smile melts my heart.  I love how excitable you are.  I love how you light up when you first see me as I come home from work.  I love the way you study everything around you and always have to be in the middle of all the action.  You are such a wonderful gift from God."
- Daddy