Thursday, May 8, 2014

I Hate Naps

Let's put it this way...I LOVE naps when the kids will nap.  It gives me a much needed break from the hustle and bustle of the morning.  The stars and moon have to align just right for both kids to nap at the same time on the same day.  Anymore, it's a very rare occurrence.  When Meredith was a baby, she would protest sleep horribly but once she finally fell asleep, things went fine and she got the sleep she needed.  Her brother, on the other hand, goes to sleep very easily with little to no protest.  However, he takes extremely short naps (we went through a period of two months of 30 minute naps...it was terrible!).  Now, he naps for about 1 to 1.5 hours a day, which I still don't think is enough and likes to wake up around 5:15 a.m. and then fuss all morning.  Anyway, my struggle lately has been with Meredith.  Whether it be nap time or bedtime, she keeps getting out of bed.  It drives us NUTS!  She gets out of bed really quietly and doesn't disturb Luke (since they now share a room), but we hear the door knob turn and the white noise get louder and look up and behold - it's Meredith staring down at us from the hallway.  We've tried disciplining and positive reinforcement and nothing seems to help.  This week has been the worst.  She basically refuses to nap for me.  She talks and talks and I have to end up bringing her downstairs for some quiet time in the playpen.

Some people have mentioned to me that maybe she is ready to give up naps.  We know that's not the case, since she is so crabby by about 4:00 all the way until bedtime.  Today she went on and on about how she didn't feel good, but told me she wasn't tired.  I told her that she could sit in her playpen while I read to Luke and maybe that would make her feel better.  Soon after, Chad called me and this is what happened while I was on the phone, with the lights on and Luke running around yelping.  Yep, I think she still needs a nap.