Monday, June 25, 2012

The Chair

One addiction I have picked up over the past few years is going to yard sales!  I really like the Bloomington/Normal area, because there are soooooooooo many sales that it's almost necessary to go Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in order to hit most of them up.  I get way too excited about them.  Chad is okay with my addiction, though, because I have saved us a TON of money with Meredith's clothes, plus he likes driving us around on Saturday to look at all the different neighborhoods and get to know the town a bit better.  Also, we like going to the ritzy neighborhoods and seeing what goodies they have.  It still cracks me up that these $300,000+ homeowners have yard sales, but I guess maybe that's how they got into their position by being so thrifty!

So, I had a high on Friday after I attended one of these yard sales.  I ended up with a smile on my face and chills all over!  I could tell right away as I drove up, it was a big one and they had a ton of kids toys (which also meant they probably had a ton of kids clothes).  It didn't take me long to see tote after tote of pink/purple clothes, so I knew they must have had girls.  All clothes were $.50 unless otherwise marked.  Hallelujah!  If I didn't have one arm full of Meredith making sure she didn't run into the busy road, I would have picked up more clothes for her.  My only regret is that I didn't bring Meredith's stroller so I could have a free hand :(  Nonetheless, I came across the cutest little foam chair for $2.  We had wanted to get her a chair of her own for our living room around her birthday, but I refused to pay full price at the store (most prices started at $35).  So, here is my prize find:

Nothing fancy, but in perfect condition!

So, I sat Meredith in it at the yard sale to make sure she fit and her feet could touch the floor.  It worked perfect!  What I wasn't expecting was what happened when I brought it home.  My poor little girl couldn't figure out how to sit in it by herself.  She's a really good walker, but has not mastered climbing yet.  I think if she could have climbed into it and then turned around and sat down, it would have worked.  She couldn't figure out that you need to first turn around, then sit back.  Instead, she tried one of these two moves:

When we tell her to sit in her chair, she likes to put her face down in the back of it.  As if this will help her to sit :)

Or, as you can kind of see in this picture, she turns around and acts like she is going to sit, then misses the chair totally and ends up on the floor!


After a little help from Mommy, she can sit in the chair like a big girl!