Thursday, June 21, 2012

Play-Dates

We have had a wonderful week full of play-dates!  Three to be exact.  While pregnant with Meredith and realizing that I would soon be a stay-at-home mom, I couldn't wait until she could do play-dates with friends.  I've realized though, that it hasn't been until recently that she has enjoyed them and really been able to entertain herself well.  My friend, Theresa, and I talked today about how it was so nice that we were able to talk for about 30 minutes or so while our kids played by themselves.  Ah, the joys of motherhood!  It's really fun to see her interact with other kids, especially since I can't volunteer in the same room she is in when I take her to church nursery or Bible study nursery.

Here are some pictures of Meredith's play-date with Lauren today at our house.  She also very much enjoyed playing at his house yesterday.  It's always fun when she plays with new toys.


Okay, this isn't from today, but from July of 2011.  See why their play-dates are so much more fun now?

This is what I call one of Meredith's "drive-by" dropoffs.  She loves to hand me things all the time and then will take them to other people when I ask her to.  Well, she was walking really fast across the room, giving things to Lauren, whether he was ready for them or not!


My friend, Julie, invited me to go to the Children's Discovery Museum in Normal, Illinois earlier this week with her twin boys.  We had a great time and I highly recommend this museum.  I've wanted to go before, but I thought Meredith was maybe a little too young.  I found that she was actually a pretty good age for several activities and it will be even more fun to take her there as she gets older.  It's such a nice place and a relatively short drive from our house.  It reminded me of the St. Louis Science Center on a small scale, which was a much further distance from my hometown when growing up.

Of course, whatever he was playing with, she wanted to also play with, even though her hand was already full with another toy :)

Once again, see why play-dates are so much more fun now?  They don't need to sleep ALL the time.  This was from June of 2011. 
She was barely tall enough to reach this table that had vehicles and a track on it.  Maybe she will be tall enough next time we come.

Meredith and Drew playing with the whatchamacallit toy ;)

This was a really fun water toy exhibit for the kids.


We decided to put a vest on them so they wouldn't be soaked.  Meredith kept tripping over it because it was so long.  She looked like my little baby scientist working in a lab!

This reminded me of the piano scene in the '80s movie, "Big"Except for the fact that the kids didn't weigh enough to make sounds.  At least the adults had fun!
Chess anyone?


I want this for our living room!  It was the neatest contraption EVER!  The kids could put a ball or handkerchief in it and the wind would shoot it out the opposite end.  Awesome!


"Why can't I get the ball, Mommy?"


Meredith learned about farming with this activity.  She loved to take the balls and put them in the bucket.
 
And here is the bucket!